I am a huge fan of kale. I eat it almost every day for breakfast. I like to fry it up and have a poached egg on top - delicious! It's also great in soups, stir-frys, and as chips...
Did yo know that kale is:
- very high in vitamin K - protects you from various sorts of cancer
- an anti-inflammatory food - helps with arthritis, asthma, and auto-immune disorders
- chock-full of anti-oxidents
- high in iron
- only has 35 calories per cup, 5 grams of fibre, and 0 grams of fat
- filled with nutrients - magnesium, vitamin A, and calcium
- high in vitamin C - helpful for your immune system and metabolism
- is great for detoxifying your body and keeping your livery nice and healthy
Needless to say, kale is awesome.
I'm such a savoury treat kind of person, I absolutely love chips (maybe too much), so making this healthy alternative is great. It's also super quick and easy to make. I do like the taste of kale on its own, but I like to add a bit of extra flavour for more of a chip like snack. I decided to make two flavours - cheesy hearts + dash of chili.
- half a bunch of kale
- 1 tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- nutritional yeast
- hemp seed (hemp hearts)
DASH OF CHILI
- half a bunch of kale
- 1 tbl. extra virgin olive oil
- chili powder
- mrs. dash (optional)
First you need to wash the kale, then tear it apart the leaves from the stem into bite sized pieces. Lay them on a towel, and pat them dry. Warm up your oven - set it to 400°.
Place in a bowl and mix in the olive oil.
Lay the pieces on a parchment lined pan.
CHEESY HEARTS - sprinkle a generous amount of nutritional yeast, coating all the kale bits. Sprinkle on salt and hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are high in protein which helps you feel full longer, as well as gives you energy. I like to add hemp seeds to lots of meals, I'll do a more in depth post on them soon.
DASH OF CHILI - sprinkle chili powder to desired spiciness, add mrs. dash, and a bit of salt. I use mrs. dash in a lot of my cooking, only because I love the mix of herbs and spices with no salt added, that way I can add a lot flavour without the salt.
very IMPORTANT ---- turn oven down to 175° and bake the kale for 15 minutes until they are nice and crispy.
source for the health benefits of kale