Here’s a super easy salsa recipe. I have to give the credit to my mom for this one, but I like to add the basil when we have it. It gives it a nice pesto like flavour.
- 1 796 ml can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh celantro
- half a purple onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chill powder
- hot sauce to your desired hotness
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
mix all the ingredients in a big bowl. using a hand held mixer blend it up – you can also use a food processor, but I like doing it this way so you don’t have to wash as much.
Hello and welcome to the first post with the new layout. I decided to do the switch from blogger to wordpress and in doing so I had to change the layout. I had a few difficulties setting it up the way I want it, but I love the way it turned out and I hope you do too.
Last week the lovely Kendwy nominated me for a liebster award. Being new to blogging I was so curious as to what this was, you can read a bit about the origin here. Basically it is a way for bloggers to connect and share a bit more about themselves by answering some questions and then passing it on to more bloggers. I thought it would be a good opportunity to share with you all a little bit more about my self and learn a bit about my fellow bloggers.
The rules that I was sent about the liebster award:
- Tell 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions provided by the person who nominated you.
- Choose 11 blogs you like and link them in your post.
- Write 11 questions for these bloggers, so they can answer them.
- Go to their page and let them know that you nominated them. No tag backs!
- (I know there’s a lot here, hopefully you enjoy reading my short novel )
11 random facts…
- I love coffee so much I just can’t start my day without one.
- I eat really healthy but sometimes I cave and sneakily eat one of those instant noodle bowls (don’t tell my mom).
- I am allergic to cow dairy (I can eat goat cheese though), there is a protein in it that gives me hives! not fun.
- I love to paint and draw – my dad is an artist and encourages me to do art every day, I have got to listen to him more often.
- I have 6 chickens.
- I know how to fillet and gut a fish, and I’m not bad – my boyfriend is so proud!
- I have been skydiving twice in my life – both times amazing. The first was in Australia at 17, 000 feet and the second near Vancouver, Canada at 14, 000 feet.
- I have my PADI open water dive certificate, and I love diving! The first time I went my instructor told me that I ‘breath like a fish’ because I barely use any of my tank. I’m just super comfortable under the water I guess.
- I love taking photographs and just started playing around with my DSLR again.
- I know how to develop film in a dark room.
- I hiked up to Machu Piccu a couple years ago and it was amazing! I’ve lived by the ocean my whole life and travelling up to 4200 meters was such a great experience.
answering the questions that I was given…
- What are your biggest motivators in life? Right now I’ve been trying to sew and make jewellery for spring and summer and my biggest motivator with that is talking to my friends and family about it. Telling them what I need to do – they inspire me to keep going. I also find that if I’m getting close to the end of a deadline that TIME is a great motivator.
- If you could change one event in your life, what would it be and why?This is a hard one for me to answer because I think back on life’s big events and I don’t think that I would want to change anything. If something was different in the past it would affect the present, so I don’ know if I would change anything, because I truly am happy in the place that I am.
- Do you have any siblings? Yes, I have a younger brother named Ehren. He’s so awesome! He is a cinematographer and you can check out some of his films here.
- What are your favourite blog topics to write about? I love writing DIY posts, I love being creative and making something. I have plans for a lot more coming soon! I also really enjoy writing and creating outfit posts, I like using photoshop and finding beautiful clothes and accessories to put together.
- What are your favourite blog topics to read? I enjoy beauty posts because I don’t ware a lot of make up and it’s interesting to see whats out there. I especially like ones that have a more ‘eco-friendly’ way to them because I am always on the look out for natural beauty products. I also love reading posts about home makeovers and do it yourself posts.
- What is your favourite blog to follow? It’s a tie between DESIGNLOVEFEST and GARANCE DORÉ because they both have a variety of topics and the photographs are absolutely studding. I love DLF for their graphics and recipe posts, and GD for all the fashion and illustration posts. Both are rather large scale blogs and I love that both of them have a team of bloggers — it shows that something that was once small can grow into this beautiful big business.
- Do you have any hidden talents? I can do the splits and do roundoffs, one handed cartwheels and regular cartwheels… that’s sort of a talent.
- Besides blogging, what are other things that you enjoy doing? I run a little jewellery and clothing business and my island that I live on has a Saturday Market so I will hopefully be selling my clothes AND my jewellery there this summer. I make everything myself, so I’ve been busy sewing and creating – hence my lack of blogging this week. —- Which I love doing. I also really like to go beach combing and going for hikes.
- If money was no deterrent, name one thing you would love to do? Travel the WORLD!! And photograph and write about my journey.
- What is your idea of a perfect day? Last November my boyfriend and I went to stay in a cabin on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It was at this cute little resort right on the ocean and we were in a cabin on the far side of the property. The full day that we had we just walked around, exploring near the ocean, it was super cold but the view was just beautiful. My perfect day would be something like that, spending time on an ocean with my boyfriend – but in a warmer place!
- What would you consider one of your imperfections? I think the biggest imperfection that I have would probably be that I can be a tad bossy.. or maybe a bit more than a tad. When I was young my parents told me that I said “me do it” a lot, which pretty much sums up how I am today. I like to be in control of a situation.
Now for my 11 questions for you…
- If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?
- What is your favourite dish to make?
- What’s your favourite dish to eat out at a restaurant?
- What’s the scariest thing you have every done?
- What inspires you the most?
- What’s do you do in your down time… if you have any?
- Do you have any favourite blog post subjects to write about?
- Do you have any favourite blog post subjects to read?
- What was your first blog post about?
- If you had one million dollars what would you do with it?
- If you could travel back in time, what decade/era would you go to, and why?
Who I am nominating…
So there you have it. Nominee’s let me know via twitter, send me an e-mail, or comment below, if or when you post – I would love to read it. If I didn’t nominate you and would like to do this, please go ahead and write a post. There aren’t really any ‘rules’ just ‘guidelines’, it’s just a fun little post.
I was using tea tree oil as a spot treatment for blemishes, which does work well, but not over night. Plus, my skin is super dry (I usually get blemishes around the chin, which I’m told is due to hormones), so the tea tree oil sometimes dries it out way too much. So I decided to try boscia clear complexion willow bark spot treatment. After reading some reviews on sephora, I decided to try it… and I love it.
It totally works for me. After I wash my face at night I use this on some problem areas, and by the morning its either gone or seriously diminished.
The applicator is also really nice. You twist the bottom and the product comes out the top with a nice soft tip.
What I also love about it is that it is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates. It says that the jojoba leaf, which has a combination of Vitamins C and E, work together to help reduce redness, control oil, and maintain a clear complexion. I haven’t tried any of their other products, I’m pretty happy with the cleansers I have at the moment, but when I run out I’ll give them a go.
Have you tried any of their products?
Happy first day of March. Only 20 more days until SPRING! I’m starting to get excited for all the wonderful projects I want to do, most of them outside, so some warmer weather would be nice.
I’ve seen pictures of these gold dipped feathers scattered over pinterest and decided to give it a try. I used to make feather jewellery (that’s how my business first started, but I’ve since got into beading and wirework), needless to say I still have heaps of feathers. Here’s how I did it.
I decided to use spray paint, I used this one, and taped away the parts I didn’t want to be gold with green painters tape. I find masking tape leaves behind glue, so I spent a couple extra dollars and bought the good stuff.
Make sure you have newspaper or something down behind the feathers. I did two coats on either side. I waited a day for them to dry, but the bottle says that it dries a lot faster than that.
I was happy with the result, but next time I think I will make sure the tape is more secure, the paint ran a bit into the area I had taped off, but maybe that’s normal. All in all it worked.
I think these will be great for photo-shoots and staging, or just for decoration. Now what can I spray gold next?!?